The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 40 - File: inc/class_session.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_session.php 40 errorHandler->error
/global.php 55 session->init
/printthread.php 17 require_once
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 4472 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4472 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 75 session->load_guest
/global.php 55 session->init
/printthread.php 17 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $mybb - Line: 183 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 183 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 63 makeprintablenav
Warning [2] Attempt to read property "settings" on null - Line: 183 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 183 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forums - Line: 183 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $mybb - Line: 183 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 187 makeprintablenav
Warning [2] Attempt to read property "settings" on null - Line: 183 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 183 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forums - Line: 183 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key 10 - Line: 184 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 184 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 1229 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1229 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 72 forum_permissions
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 1229 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1229 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 72 forum_permissions
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyviewownthreads" - Line: 78 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 78 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $mppage - Line: 219 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 219 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 109 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 222 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 222 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 109 printthread_multipage

Culturish
ATP/WTA 2?: Unchained Meldonium - Printable Version

+- Culturish (http://www.culturish.com/forums2)
+-- Forum: Entertainment (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Sports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: ATP/WTA 2?: Unchained Meldonium (/showthread.php?tid=113)

RE: ATP/WTA 2?: Unchained Meldonium - venom1976 - 10-03-2016 09:12 AM

Also, here's some writing by Wertheim on why he thinks that, despite career achievements that should probably put him over the line on getting into the Hall of Fame, Kafelnikov still isn't.

Even during the height of his career, Kafelnikov did little outwardly to advance the sport. He was notorious for taking advantage of a flawed “best of” ranking system by over-playing, banking appearance fee lucre and then tanking...The money quote is from the Czech Open tournament director who found Kafelnikov’s effort so lacking that the declined to pay a guarantee. ("I don't distinguish between a secretary and a Kafelnikov. No work, no money.") Again, this is the No. 1-ranked player in the world and he’s making headlines not simply for losing, but for tanking?

Among ATP employees, there was a nickname conferred on Kafelnikov: Dr. No. Why? They knew all-too-well that requests—visiting hospitals, meeting sponsors, sitting for interviews—would be greeted reflexively in the negative. It was unclear, at best, that Kafelnikov had the esteem of other players. One example among many, note this dispute with Andre Agassi—at the stage of his career when Agassi was a wise soul and did not pick fights gratuitously. (Agassi: ''My feelings are he should take his prize money when he's done here and go buy some perspective.'')

The denouement of Kafelnikov’s career was also—how to put this?—unworthy of a champion. In October of 2003, Kafelnikov’s name surfaced in a match-fixing allegation based on irregular patterns cited by Betfair. We stress that Kafelnikov stridently denied involvement and he never faced discipline from the ATP. Yet the week after this report marked the last time he played a sanctioned match. He was 29 at the time. By the time he resurfaced to officially retire, he was trying to make it as a professional poker player.

The absence of ironclad guidelines for the Hall of Fame make the selection exercise inherently fraught. But it allows us to fashion our own criteria. In the case of Kafelnikov, if we go strictly by empirical achievements, it’s one discussion. If we believe there’s a good-of-the-sport consideration, you can reach much different discussion. And I do.

RE: ATP/WTA 2?: Unchained Meldonium - misplaced validity - 10-03-2016 10:59 AM

In the absence of real proof (or more so sanctions) as far as match fixing goes, I don't think it should be an issue. Even if he wasn't the most likable player, I think it's ridiculous someone with 2 singles majors, 4 doubles majors, an Olympics gold, and who was a #1 player isn't in the Hall of Fame. I love him, but in what way did Safin (who is in the Hall of Fame with slightly less credentials) advance the sport more than Kafelnikov?

RE: ATP/WTA 2?: Unchained Meldonium - venom1976 - 10-03-2016 11:18 AM

A few thoughts on that:

- Maybe Safin was the kind of guy who did interviews and visited hospitals.
- I wonder if him being in the Russian Parliament plays any kind of role - like, people think it elevates the stature of the game in some way? (Although, isn't he part of a shady party)
- It's going to be very hard to find men to induct in the Hall of Fame in the coming years. After Roddick (probably) in 2017, is there another viable candidate until Hewitt in 2021? Safin may be benefitting from the paucity of Grand Slam winners from 2004 onward.

RE: ATP/WTA 2?: Unchained Meldonium - misplaced validity - 10-03-2016 11:32 AM

(10-03-2016 11:18 AM)venom1976 Wrote:  A few thoughts on that:

- Maybe Safin was the kind of guy who did interviews and visited hospitals.
- I wonder if him being in the Russian Parliament plays any kind of role - like, people think it elevates the stature of the game in some way? (Although, isn't he part of a shady party)
- It's going to be very hard to find men to induct in the Hall of Fame in the coming years. After Roddick (probably) in 2017, is there another viable candidate until Hewitt in 2021? Safin may be benefitting from the paucity of Grand Slam winners from 2004 onward.

I don't see why visiting hospitals should get you in the HOF, but maybe that's just me.

Roddick getting in over Kafelnikov would be another WTF? to me. Hell, Juan Carlos Ferrero has as many majors and career titles as Roddick. I know that's discounting Roddick's longevity, but still.

And especially if there is a dearth of eligible males, Kafelnikov should be aided by that.

RE: ATP/WTA 2?: Unchained Meldonium - venom1976 - 10-03-2016 01:33 PM

He wasn't first eligible in an era with that dearth.

RE: ATP/WTA 2?: Unchained Meldonium - Dr.ciski77 - 10-03-2016 04:36 PM

Jimmy Van Alen established the HoF in order for it to be a "shrine to the ideals of the game." I can totally see how Kafelnikov would not and never will qualify even just based on that. He was never interested in being an ambassador for the sport, he did nothing to advance it, and completely failed in creating a legacy (as a matter of fact, he is one of the most disliked players ever). Does he have enough on-court accomplishments? Sure. That's the stuff you get to put on top of your mantle or in your studio. But the HoF is not just about that.

RE: ATP/WTA 2?: Unchained Meldonium - misplaced validity - 10-03-2016 10:43 PM

^ If that's the case, then how in the hell did Justine Henin get in?

RE: ATP/WTA 2?: Unchained Meldonium - Dr.ciski77 - 10-04-2016 12:20 AM

I wouldn't have personally voted for her (or Safin) but there's definitely a case to be made about what a significant figure she was back home, created a tennis academy, established a foundation to assist children with cancer, etc.

RE: ATP/WTA 2?: Unchained Meldonium - venom1976 - 10-04-2016 01:33 AM

This stuff affects the marginal cases only. I think anyone with 3+ Slams gets in barring some kind of serious disgrace.

RE: ATP/WTA 2?: Unchained Meldonium - Dr.ciski77 - 10-04-2016 01:59 AM

Kafelnikov would've needed Sampras' career to be seriously considered.